Friday, January 1, 2010

The Market, Movie Day, and Peruvian Dances

Annie buttering rolls at PPA for the morning snack for the kids



Food market in Lima



Peruvian dancers


Friday, November 14, 2008
Movie day and Peruvian dances
I went down to breakfast early, drank some tea, and read. Laura joined me, then Edith and Lulu. Westin didn’t show. Laura and I volunteered to go to PPA and do the buttering of the rolls for the morning snack. I cut the rolls and Laura buttered them. We counted them so the correct number could be delivered to each section of PPA. It took us about 45 minutes.
I went back to the office to gather my supplies for el hospilito. I brought my computer as the kids wanted to see my pictures. The same four children were there: Luis, Marisol, Mayli, and Julia. Luis wanted to know if I could get the Internet. Negative. For the next three hours we read books, drew, sang ‘Hokey Pokey” and generally cut up.
Laura, Edith, Lulu, and I went to the market (think huge place with individual stands) to get the supplies for the afternoon’s movie for the junior high students. We bought corn for popping, oil, drink triangles, lollipops, and another kind of candy. We also bought High School Musical 3 for 3 sols ($1.00 USD.)
We went to the restaurant where we were supposed to meet Westin as he did not go to PPA in the morning. Laura, Lulu, and I are worried about him. He’s 22 and a good kid, but may be more fragile than I realized. We had another stellar meal but had to eat quickly. I felt nauseous on the way back to PPA. We set up the auditorium for the movie and Lulu the caterer organized the snacks. Lulu, Laura, and Edith went to kitchen to pop the corn and put it in individual bags for 110 people. I kept waiting for the students to arrive, but no one showed. I thought about going to the kitchen to let Edith know no students had come, but was concerned that if I left, the students would arrive with no one there. The students finally filtered in about 4 p.m. and Milli, the other Global Volunteers team leader started the film. It was in Spanish with Spanish subtitles except the songs were in English. The girls seemed to enjoy the movie, but the most of the boys were bored. There were about 70 students. The rest of the team returned with the popcorn. We handed out snacks intermittently. I think it went well. As soon as the movie was over, we stacked the plastic chairs in the front of the auditorium and swept the floors. We carried the left-overs back to the office and headed for the hotel.
We had a team meeting at 7 p.m. to review our goals. Lulu and Laura had issues about their situations. They are each working on-on-one with a toddler in the afternoons. They were prepped for the physical therapy but it doesn’t happen every day or for as long as they expected. The advice from Edith: Go with the flow. I feel I have the easiest jobs and no complaints. Perhaps el hospilito will be full next week with imps and I will eat my words.
Edith, Laura, and I went to Junius, a restaurant with a buffet supper and a floor show of Peruvian dances. The food was tasty but I ate sparingly as my stomach is not quite right. A band of five men, two with guitars, two with drums that looked like wooden speaker boxes, and one percussionist/Peruvian flautist, played some songs. The dances included an Incan fantasy, several with African influences, the coquetry dances, and an amazing scissors dance. The latter had many Russian dance steps. I was surprised to see so many African themes as I have not seen many Black people in the two areas I’ve been in. I’ll have to see in what parts of the country they used African slave labor. Chinese were also imported for labor, but not as slaves, merely exploited. It was a fun evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment