Friday, January 1, 2010


fabulous hot chocolate drink with meringue


Edith and Lulu at Qubba Cafe where we ate every work day

Monday, November 17, 2008
Team Felled by Illnesses
I went down to breakfast early in order to have tea and read. Laura came down for a few minutes, but told me she was sick and would not be going to PPA today. Westin came down looking wan. He was very sick yesterday and feeling marginal today. Lulu and I are fine. Westin and Lulu left early to cut and butter the rolls.
At el hospilito there were only two girls, Marisol and Isabel. The latter looked flushed and was said to be coming down with. We did a new puzzle I bought of the Disney princesses. It took the three of us a while to complete it. They used the watercolors on coloring book pages and I wrote a limerick for Coach Davey. We played Twister, did the Hokey Pokey, and created with colored pipe cleaners. Marisol and I worked on a new Hot Wheels puzzle I had bought and there was a piece missing!!! Westin came by, completely sweaty, and said he was going back to the hotel to take a shower and would meet us at lunch.
Qubba again served up a delightful lunch. The others had beef soup while I had an autumn salad. The entrée was lentils with either soy sauce chicken or regular roasted chicken. I ate the latter. We kept worrying that Westin would not know the way to the restaurant from the hotel, but we should have had more faith in him. He showed up and ate soup and ice cream. For dessert, Edith had the baked apple, I had chocolate ice cream drizzled with fudge and caramel, and Lulu had a crepe with chocolate ice cream inside.

In the afternoon I worked with Maria Flores and the almost four year olds. Before they came I traced, cut out, and edged wings for those bottle angels the five year-olds are making. What part are they doing? It seems very work intensive for what they’ll end up with. The class of nine children was quite unruly. They were rude and refused to follow directions. I wasn’t in charge, but it was uncomfortable for me. Westin had quite an active afternoon with Oscar and Arno and a tag-a-long. He looked completely bushed!
We walked quite a way to a restaurant called “San Antonio’s.” It was an upscale sandwich and salad place. I had an artichoke pastel and a brioche de chocolate which were to die for. I did notice that all of the diners were very light-skinned. It was in a snazzy section of Lima called San Isidro. Hmmm.

Tonight I will finish the Peruvian fiction book, Ximena at the Crossroads. It’s a strange but haunting story about a young girl and her well-to-do family in the 50’s in Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment